Unique Residential/Commercial Development Opportunity
Chapelle des Freres is located in a highly-peaceful, rural location on Les Chenolles in the Parish of St John, close to the junctions of La Rue de la Mare Ballam and La Rue des Courts Champs. St John’s Village is a 2-minute drive away. St Helier town centre is approximately a 20-minute drive / 6-miles away. We attach a location plan for reference purposes.
Previously home to the island’s Methodist community from the early 19th century and more recently, the headquarters of the Jersey Boys Brigade and a local dance / performing arts group, the Property is now entirely vacant and comprises both commercial and residential elements as follows:
- The 1821 Chapel – a large community hall of random granite construction under a hipped, slate covered roof incorporating timber windows and doors. The internal accommodation provides a large, open space of circa 1,225 Sq.Ft. (114 Sqm) incorporating a timber gallery. To the rear is ancillary accommodation providing commercial kitchen, meeting / dining room, cloakroom and large store. While believed to be structurally sound, the chapel would benefit from a programme of construction works and general updating to render the internal accommodation fit for modern use.
- The 1914 Chapel – a very large community hall in “Romanesque” style of dressed- granite construction under a pitched, slate covered roof incorporating highly-attractive stained-glass windows. The internal accommodation provides a vast space of circa 1,833 Sq.Ft. (170 Sqm). To the rear is ancillary accommodation providing workshop, store and cloakroom. While believed to be structurally sound, this part of the property would benefit from a significant programme of construction works and general updating to render the internal accommodation fit for modern use.
- The Cottage – adjoining the 1821 Chapel but with its own entrance (although a direct access point into the chapel does exist), a 4-bedroom cottage, constructed of random granite and dressed-granite window reveals, flashings and sills under a pitched, tile covered roof incorporating timber sash-windows and timber doors. The internal accommodation provides approximately 1,222 Sq.Ft. (114 Sqm). The Cottage is not believed to be habitable in its current condition and would benefit from a significant programme of construction works and general updating.
- To the front of the property is a partially gated, external reception area and to the east of the cottage is a large parking area – suitable for parking circa 15 cars and a field beyond which may be suitable for additional parking / development, subject to consent from the Planning & Environment Department.
- The Property currently operates on a septic-tank; mains drains are believed to be nearby in the adjacent roadway. There is mains water and electricity on site.
The Freehold of the property is offered for sale by way of tender and expressions of interest are invited via the attached Informal Tender form by 12-noon, Thursday 13th July 2023. The Property is offered with a guide price of “offers in excess of £800,000”. Preference will be given to unconditional bids received from cash purchasers with a strong track-record of completing and developing similar assets.
Each party to bear their own legal costs and any other costs incurred, whether or not a transaction completes. GST is applicable in Jersey at a rate of 5.00% and we recommend that potential purchasers take independent professional advice in this regard.
For further details and viewing, please contact the vendor’s sole agent, Jonathan C Quérée MRICS at Quérée Property Consultants Ltd on 630660 (T) or 077978 40008 (M).